Quaecumque VeraDepartment of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences



Although there is insufficient housing on campus for all graduate students there are many apartment and houses for rent nearby. To obtain accommodation on campus or near to the campus, you must apply well in advance. Students arriving from outside Edmonton who have not booked accommodation in advance are well advised to expect at least a week to search for permanent housing.

The University of Alberta Residence Services
Residence Services currently operates eight residence communities with enhanced learning environments, where academic success, involvement, community and leadership are the primary focus. To obtain information, contact:

Ancillary Services
1-044 Lister Centre
University of Alberta
Edmonton AB T6G 2H6 Canada

Phone: 780-492–4281
Fax: 780-492–7032
Web: http://www.ualberta.ca/residences

Michener Park , located five kilometers south of campus, provides housing for students with families. There are high-rise apartments, walk-up apartments and row-houses with semi-private yards opening into courtyards. The residence has playgrounds and a play school. It is close to shopping malls, schools and bus routes. The Department of Housing and Food Services provides a residence life program that addresses the needs of students with families.

Newton Place offers the privacy and space in which to create a comfortable home, but with convenient access to University libraries and facilities. Newton Place also offers a newly developed Community Centre, beach volleyball court, as well as a selection of ground-level retail shops. The apartment complex is designed to support the special needs of third and fourth-year undergraduates, graduate students and student couples.

University of Alberta Students Union Housing Registry publishes a list of rental accommodation throughout Edmonton. Many students use this service, and rate it as the best resource for finding off-campus accommodation. Information may be obtained at http://www.su.ualberta.ca/inforeg, or in person at the lower level of SUB (phone 492–4212)

The International Centre operates a housing registry which can be very helpful in locating suitable accommodation. A housing binder with ads from students and community members who wish to advertise rental accommodation is located at the International Centre. The binder is a good place to look for a roommate. International Students often use the International Centre’s email network to look for roommates (see page for information). Sometimes some International student groups know of people looking for roommates. Contact numbers are available from the International Centre receptionist.

Advertisements in the Edmonton Journal and the Edmonton Sun.

You can often find housing by walking around Strathcona or downtown where many apartments are advertised on signs in front of the buildings. Often these places are advertised in no other way.

A free weekly publication called the Home Renters Guide lists rooms for rent in apartments. While many of these are more expensive than students can usually afford, some are reasonably priced.

Bulletin boards on campus are usually a good source of ads for accommodation. Large boards are located in HUB, SUB, Lister Hall and CAB on campus.

Temporary Accommodation

Residence Services offers a number of options for summer and guest accommodation.

Hostelling International (10647–81 Avenue) is approximately $60 per night (2007 rates).

Visit the International Centre for more suggestions on temporary accommodation.


Department of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences
University of Alberta
632 Central Academic Building
Edmonton, AB T6G 2G1
Fax: 780.492.6826
Last modified June 25, 2008

Home | U of A | Faculty of Science | Privacy Statement  |   | Site Map |