- locally convex spaces
- weak and weak* topologies for Banach spaces
- weak compactness in Banach spaces
- classical Banach spaces
- local structure of Banach spaces
- infinite-dimensional geometry
Math 516 (or equivalent) and Math 447 (or equivalent; can be taken concurrently)
None required, but the following are recommended:
- J. B. Conway, A Course in Functional Analysis. Springer Verlag,
- M. Fabian et al., Functional Analysis and Infinite-Dimensional Geometry. Canadian Mathematical Society, 2001.
- W. Rudin, Functional Analysis. McGraw-Hill, 1991.
The grade will be based on regular homework assignments (50%) and a take-home final (50%).
Assignments and Solutions
Last update: 4/24/12.