MATH 418 - Honors Real Variables, II and MATH 516 - Linear Analysis
- classical Banach spaces;
- Hahn-Banach, open mapping, and closed graph theorems;
- Hilbert spaces and orthonormal bases;
- elements of spectral theory, spectra of compact operators, and the
spectral theorem for compact self-adjoint operators.
I won't require any particular textbook, but you may find the following
ones useful to to look into:
- K. Saxe, Beginning Functional Analysis. Springer Verlag,
- B. Bollobás, Linear Analysis, Second Edition. Cambridge University
- J. B. Conway, A Course in Functional Analysis. Springer Verlag, 1985.
The mark will be based on weekly homework assignments (30%), an
in-class-midterm on October 17 (20%), and a final (50%). A total mark of 50% will yield a grade of D or better, and a total mark of 90% will yield a grade
of A (or better). Prior to both the midterm and the final, a practice midterm/final will be made available.
Last update: 1/09/15.