Math 411 - Honors Complex Variables (A1), MW 15-16:20, CAB 377
Volker Runde, CAB 675
The following topics will be covered:
- complex numbers;
- analytic functions;
- Cauchy's integral theorem and formula;
- Taylor expansion;
- applications, such as the maximum modulus principle;
- Laurent series;
- the calculus of residues;
- harmonic functions;
- basics of analytic continuation;
- Riemann's mapping theorem (time permitting).
Last year, I produced typed lecture notes and made them available online. These notes will be the
basis for the course this year as well.
Other recommended books are
- E. Freitag and R. Busam, Complex Analysis. Springer Verlag,
- T. W. Gamelin, Complex Analysis. Springer Verlag, 2001.
The grade will be based on (approximately) weekly homework assignments (30%), an in-class-midterm on October 15 (20%), and a final (50%).
Last update: 1/05/09.