University of Alberta
offers free writing support to all students at the University of Alberta – in
any subject, discipline, program, or faculty, and at all levels of study.
It also maintains an online database with resources to
improve your writing. Check it out!
Technical Help for Producing an Academic Poster
- Where to print your poster
- Making a poster with LaTeX
- Making a poster with PowerPoint
- lots of beautiful poster template files are
available from AICT (you will need to sign in with your campus ID to gain
- Handbook of Writing for the Mathematical Sciences, Second Edition, Nicholas J. Higham, Society
for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, 1998 (ISBN
- How to Write Mathematics, N.E. Steenrod, P.R. Halmos, M.M. Schiffer, and
J.A. Dieudonne, American Mathematical Society, Providence, 1973 (available
in the math library; call number QA 41 H84 1973).
- A Primer of Mathematical Writing, Steven G. Krantz, American Mathematical
Society, Providence, 1997.
- Mathematical Writing, D.E. Knuth, T. Larrabee, and P.M. Roberts, The Mathematical
Association of America, Washington, DC, 1989.
- Scientists Must Write: A Guide to Better Writing
for Scientists, Engineers and
Students, Second Edition, Robert Barrass, Routledge, London & New
York, 2002 (ISBN 0-415-26996-2).
- Scientists Must Speak: Bringing Presentations to
Life, D. Eric Walters and Gale
Climenson Walters, Routledge, London & New York, 2002 (ISBN
Articles and Web Resources
- K. Sane-Jensen, How to write consistently boring
scientific literature, Oikos 116:
- G.D. Gopen and J.A. Swan, The science of
scientific writing, American
Scientist 78:550-558, 1990.
- B. Grant,
Right your writing, The Scientist 23(11):65, 2009.
- R.P. Boas, Can we make mathematics intelligible?, The American Mathematical Monthly 88:727-731,
Structure, Format, Content, and Style of a Journal-Style Scientific Paper
- San Francisco Edit
(check out the short articles on a number of writing issues posted under
the Newsletters menu item on this web page)
- About writing effective abstracts
- About writing effective discussion sections
- D.R. Hess, How to write an effective discussion, Respiratory Care 49(10):1238-1241, 2004.
- What are reviewers looking for when they review
- L.W. Roberts, J. Coverdale, K. Edenharder, and A.
Louie, How to review a manuscript: A “down-to-earth” approach, Academic Psychiatry, 28(2):81-87, 2004.
- J.M. Provenzale and R.J. Stanley, A systematic
guide to reviewing a manuscript,
American Journal of Roentgenology 185:848-854, 2005.
- About making academic poster presentations