MATH538: Techniques of Applied Mathematics
Location and Time
- LEC R1: TR 1100-1220 Location CAB563
- Worth 30% of final grade (unless Final Exam has better grade)
- Where and when: 11:00-12:20 in class on Thurs. Feb 16
- Worth 30% of final grade
(or worth 60% if this is better
than 30% midterm and 30% exam combined.)
- Where and when: 9:00-noon on Wed. Apr 19 in CAB563
- Worth 40% of final grade
4 assignments total, each worth equal weight.
Assignment 1: Due 6pm Friday, January 27
Solutions to Assignment 1
Assignment 2: Due 6pm Friday, February 10
Solutions to Assignment 2
Assignment 3: Due 3pm Tuesday, March 21
Solutions to Assignment 3
Assignment 4: Due 3pm Tuesday, April 11
- You can download the syllabus.
- Office Hours: by appointment (within 24 hours guaranteed)
Overheads and Handouts
- Here are some math tricks
that often come in handy.
Continuation of asymptotic expansion of integrals, perturbation theory,
asymptotic matching, perturbative eigenvalue problems,
boundary layer theory, WKB theory.
- For the most part, the course will follow the material in the
recommended but not required textbook
- Applied Mathematics, 2nd Ed.,
J. David Logan, J. Wiley and Sons Pub.
Other recommended resources
- MATH 438, or consent of instructor
Bruce's home page
Department of Mathematical Sciences home page